Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who can apply for a visa?

The application for a visa to Italy in VMS visa center can be submitted by:
• Kazakhstan citizens;
• Foreign citizens with the provision of documents confirming their legal residence in Kazakhstan.

2. What type of visa can I request at VMS?
In our offices you can apply for a tourist visa, if the purpose of your visit is tourism (individual tourism: booking confirmation from accommodation is required) or an Invitation Letter from your friends/relatives (italian citizens or foreign citizens living regularly in Italy).
Maximum length of stay is limited to 90 days within a 6 month period.
If the purpose of your visit is commercial or business activity such as factory visits, unpaid internships, checking details of goods and placing the respective orders, etc., you should apply for business visa. Please be informed that invitations to the various conferences are usually considered as a tourist visas.

3. What are the requirements for a foreign passport?
The passport must be valid for at least 3 months after the visa expiry date, contain at least 2 blank pages and be issued not earlier than 10 years ago.

4. I already have a visa but my passport has expired; is it possible to transfer my visa to a new passport?
Unfortunately, no. In this case you have to apply for a new visa.

5. Can I stay in Italy after the visa is expired?
No, the expiry date shown on the visa is the date by which you should leave the Italy.

6. The allowed number of days has already been used but the visa is still valid. Is it possible to apply for a new visa?
Only if the number of days shown on visa is less than 90 days. The Schengen Visa type C entitles the holder to stay in Schengen countries maximum 90 days within a period of 6 months. If all 90 days have been used it is not possible to obtain a new visa until its expiry date.

7. If it is planned to visit several Schengen countries within one trip, to which Embassy should I apply for a visa?
If you plan to visit several Schengen countries within one trip, visa should be issued by the Embassy of the country of main destination.
If several stays of the same length in various Schengen States are planning, visa should be applied at the Embassy of the country of the first entry into the Schengen Area.

8. The application form should be printed with one-side printing or double side printing?
The application form can be printed in both ways. Both one-side printing and double side printing can be used.

9. If the trip to another country is planned before the trip to Italy, would it be possible to apply for the visa now?
Documents can be submitted not earlier than 90 days before the trip. If you’re planning any other trip before your departure to Italy and you need the visa by a certain deadline it is necessary to provide additional documents such as copies of your tickets, hotel bookings in the country/countries you are going to visit,etc.

10. The valid visa expires in the middle of the trip. How can I apply for the new one?
In case the valid visa is multiple and 90 days of 180 days period haven’t been used, you can apply for a new visa as usual.

11.  Is hotel reservation made through any booking portal valid for submitting?           
It is possible to provide a hotel reservation from any booking site. Name of the hotel, address and telephone number, duration of the intended stay, surname and first name of all the visa applicants must be mentioned. If the stay is planned in several hotels, the booking for all the hotels for the entire stay is to be provided at the time of submission of documents

12. What is a “Residence permit” (Permesso di Soggiorno)?  
It is a document issued by the Immigration Department of the Italian police at the request of a foreign citizen. This document allows you legally reside in Italy.

13. In case of a Visa refusal will the Consular/Service fee be refunded? 
Neither Consular nor Service fee are refundable in case of a Visa refusal.

14. Can minors under 15 years old apply for a Student visa? Minors under 15 years old can apply exclusively for a Tourist visa and with accompanying persons.

15. I have a valid multiple Schengen visa issued by the third country’s Embassy, which hasn’t used before. Can I travel to Italy with abovementioned visa?
At a border post employee’s discretion.

16. Is the minor’s presence required while submitting documents at the VMS visa centre?
All the applicants aged 12 years and older have to undergo the procedure of providing biometric identifiers (fingerprints) while applying for a Schengen visa. According to these regulations it is necessary to appear in person at the visa application centers. If a minor is under 12 years old, the presence is not required.

17. What are the requirements for the consent for processing personal data?
An original filled-in consent is required. The consent for processing personal data should be provided for each applicant including minors. The document should be filled on behalf of the minor by one of the minor’s parents or legal custodian, whose personal data and signature should be mentioned in respective fields.